Crimson Hopes for Second in Meet

Third Heat Decisive in Swim Championships; Second Part Will Get Under Way Tonight

By Ronald P. Kriss

The fabulous third heat of the 1500-meter freestyle told the whole story last night an the 13th Annual Eastern Intercollegiate Swimming Championships opened at the Indoor Athletic Building.

All six entries in the final heat three of them Yale men--finished in less than 20 minutes to win places.

The second installment of the three-day championships gets underway at 8:15 p.m. tonight, with trial heats at 2:30 p.m. Finals will be run off in six events--the 50 yard freestyle, 200-yard back-stroke, 220-yard freestyle, 200-yard breast-stroke, one meter dive, and 400-yard freestyle relay.

Ell Jimmy McLane fell ten seconds shy of the EISL record with a first-place time of 18:32.5 minutes in the 1500-meter Mclane powered ahead from the start and breezed in 24 seconds ahead of teammate Wayne Moore.

Illness prevented world record-holder John Marshall from swimming the event. He will probably swim the 440-yard freestyle tomorrow night.

Martin smith, Yale's third finalist, faltered at the 1000-yard mark and was overtaken by Springfield's Bill Yorzyk. The Maroons placed two finalists, with Bruce Hutchinson finishing fifth. Williams' Joe Worthington gained sixth place.

The Crimson's Dick Fouquet finished third in the second hear in a good time--20:27.4 minutes, but it wasn't quite enough for a final place.

In tonight's competition, the Crimson should do quite well, and is a fair bet to place finalists in five of the six events. Defending one-meter champion Pete Dillingham is Hal Ulen's major hope for a first place. His chief competition will come from Yale's Kenny Welch and Navy's Owen Davies.

Crimson chances for second-place behind Yale in the 400-yard freestyle relay were reduced by Marv Sandler's illness and the fact that John McNamara has slipped from form. Alan Rapperport and Charlie Egan will probably fill in for them.

In the 200-yard back-stroke, Yale's Dick Thoman has recorded the fastest times and figures to take first place. The Crimson's Don Mulvey may place second, although Army's Pete Wittereid and Springfield's John Mayers could press him.