Yale Swim Sweep Rolls On; Crimson 2nd in Team Score

By Ronald P. Kriss

Crimson swimmers took a second and three thirds, but the second installment of the 13th Annual Eastern Intercollegiate Swimming Championships remained strictly a Yale splash party last night at the Indoor Athletic Building.

The Elis streaked to five firsts in last night's final events, bringing their two-day total to six out of seven wins.

At 8:15 p.m. tonight, finals in seven events--the last set--will be held.

Unofficial team scoring places Yale in first with 81 points and an incredibly comfortable lead, Harvard second with 21 points, Navy third with 15, Dartmouth fourth with 14, Williams a surprise fifth with 13, and Springfield sixth with 11.

Hopes for a Crimson first-place fell when defending one-meter diving champion Pete Dillingham finished second behind Yale's Kenny Welch. Welch exhibited near-perfect form on two dives to amass 155.8 points, compared to Dillingham's 148.17. Navy's Owen Davies flubbed one dive and wound up third with 145.87 points.

Tonight, Davies will defend his three-meter diving title against the stiff competition of Yale's Welch and Dillingham, the 1951 winner.

The Crimson also suffered something of a disappointment in its showing in the 400-yard free-style relay. The squad of Captain Ron Huebsch, Charlie Egan, Alan Rapperport, and Dave Hedberg, swimming in that order, finished third behind Yale and Dartmouth. The Eli victory was expected, but Dartmouth's showing came as a surprise.

Hedberg took off on the anchor leg of the 400 some three yards behind Dartmouth's freestyle ace, John Glover. At the finish, he had cut the lead to less than a yard.

Back-stroker Don Mulvey broke a Harvard record in the time trials yesterday afternoon, and then broke it again in the 200-yard finals, but he finished third in the heat. Eli Dick Thomas won in 2:07.3 minutes, and a new EISL and Harvard Pool record, and one-tenth of a second shy of the intercollegiate mark, while Army's Pete Wittereid trailed him in 2:13.2. Mulvey covered the distance in 2:14.3 minutes, eclipsing the record of 2:14.7 minutes he set earlier in the day. This, in turn, bettered John Steinhart's 1951 record of 2:15.5.

The Crimson's Ralph Zani was credited with third place in the 200-yard breaststroke when Navy's Gerry Nay was disqualified for an illegal kick. Zani turned in a good 2:25.4 minute performance. Williams' Charles Davis won the event--the only one in which Yale did not take a first in 2:20.2 minutes. Eli Dennis O'Connor recorded the best time of his life, 2:20.8, but it was only good enough for second.

The 220-yard freestyle was all Yale's. Eli Wayne Moore edged out team-mate Jimmy McLane by one-tenth of a second to take first place in 2:08.3 minutes. Frank Chamberlain and Marty Smith took third and fourth to give Yale a clean sweep of the top places.

A rash of records fell in the 50-yard freestyle, as Eli sprinter Kerry Donovan streaked to first place in a sizzling 0:22.5 seconds. He broke the Yale, EISL, and Harvard Pool records by three-tenths of a second. The previous records were five hours old, since Donovan's 0:22.8 performance had eclipsed the old mark of 0:22.9 in yesterday afternoon's trial heats.

50-yard freestyle--won by Donovan, Yale; 2, Martin, Williams; 3, Glover, Dartmouth; 4, Sheff, Yale; 5, Abbe, Yale; 6, Stone, Princeton. Time--:22.5 (New EISL, Harvard Pool record).

200-yard back-stroke--won by Thoman, Yale, 2:07.3 (New EISL, Harvard Pool record); 2, Wittereid, Army; 3, Mulvey, Harvard, 2:14.3 (New Harvard College record); 4, Mayers, Springfield; 5, Kouch, Niagara; 6, Auwarter, Columbia.

220-yard freestyle--won by Moore, Yale, 2:08.3; 2, McLane, Yale; 3, Chamberlain, Yale; 4, Smith, Yale; 5, Yorzyk, Springfield; 6, Scott, Army.

200-yard breast-stroke--won by Douglas, Williams, 2:20.2, O'Connor, Yale; 3, Zani, Harvard, 2:25.4; Bird, Navy; 5, Stuhldreher, Yale; 6, Nay, Navy (disqualified).

One-meter dive--won by Welch, Yale, 155.8; 2, Dillingham, Harvard, 148.17; 3, Davies, Navy, 145.87; 4, Presnell, Delaware, 119.65; 5, Davis, Navy, 117.8.

400-yard freestyle relay--won by Yale (Schaeffer, Joslyn, Chamberlain, Sheff), 3:28.9; 2, Dartmouth (Heyn, Mullins, Luker, Glover), 3:33; 3, Harvard (Huebsch, Egan, Rapperport, Hedberg), 3:33.7; 4, Navy (Burr, Rindahl, Gray, Slack), 3:34.4; 5, Cornell (Delaplane, Swanson, Ord, Olt), 3:36.1.The Crimson's PETE DILLINGHAM, defending one-meter diving champion, finished second behind Yale star Kenny Welch by seven points.