State Tax Bill Perils Schools Housing Reds

Withdrawal of Tax Exemption From Uncooperative Schools Urged by State Senator

A move to rip state tax exemptions from educational institutions which refuse to fire "known Communists" from faculties and student bodies was proposed in the Massachusetts Senate yesterday.

The bill, filed by Andover Republican John Adams, would not only penalize colleges for keeping Communists as students or teachers, but would also pertain to any person whom the attorney general has "reasonable cause to believe was a member of said party."

Adams stated that his bill would be a "mandate to clean house."

Now up before the Senate Rules Committee, the proposed law calls for forfeiture "of any rights to exemption from taxation" for any institution which fails to oust Communists.

Attorney General Notice

It would also require the attorney general to send a written notice to the institution, requesting expulsion of Communist students and teachers.

Adams remarked yesterday that public concern has been expressed "for the protection of academic freedom for the institutions and their instructors."

"This bill is freedom of serfdom for our children," he added, "and it is about time we placed their freedom ahead of those who would overthrow this government by violence, whether that violence is by sword or pen."