Cowles Elected Alumni Head

The Harvard Alumni Association has elected John Cowles '21, of Minneapolis, Minn., its president for 1953-54. Three vice-presidents were also elected: Leo Daley '27, of Andover, John S. Fleek '15, of Cleveland, Ohio, and Manley Fleischemann '29, of Buffalo, N.Y. Cowles succeeds Charles C. Cabot '22, of Boston.

Cowles is president of the Minneapolis Star and Tribune, and chairman of the board of Cowles Magazines Inc. Daley and Fleck are members of investment firms, and Fleischmann is a lawyer who formerly headed the Defense Production Administration.

Before his election to his present post, Cowles served as a member of the Board of Overseers from 1944 to 1950, and is presently a member of the Overseers' Committee to visit the Social Relations Department. He is also a trustee of Phillips Exeter Academy, Carleton College, Gardner Cowles Foundation, Minneapolis Foundation. Ford, Foundation, and the Minneapolis Art Institute.

As an undergraduate, Cowles worked on the CRIMSON, the Advocate, and the Lampoon. He was also a member of the Hasty Pudding Club and the Delphic Club, and president of the Signet Society.