Untried Golf Team Starts Season; Plays Babson If Weather Permits

By Richard H. Ullman

Outdoor practice is crucial for a golf team. But Coach Josh Williams' squad has had virtually none this season, and fees off against Babson Institute this afternoon completely an unknown quantity.

As of last night, it was not even certain whether the match would be played. Babson, the home team, had not contacted the H.A.A., and, therefore, it is assumed that the match will be held if the Woodland Country Club, Babson's home course, is in possible playing shape.

Indications were that because of the hilly nature of the course, it probably would be drained enough to permit play.

The team has had no complete qualifying rounds as yet because of the weather. As a result, Williams and captain Dave Hedberg have been forced to choose today's starters on the basis of varsity lettermen, previous-showings, and this season's few qualifying scores.

Sophomore Ted Cooney will play first man. A freshman baseball player last season, Cooney has only played golf against Yale and Dartmouth, but scored well both times.

Last year's freshman captain, Bruce Thurmond, will play second. Third will be letterman Jack Brophy, followed by Hedberg, the only other returning varsity player.

Sophomore Jim Jones will start in fifth spot. He and seventh man Claude Hooten are the only members of the starting group that completed qualifying rounds at Melrose's Bellevue course. Bill Rydell, a veteran of last year's team, will be sixth man.

The Babson team, usually weak, is expected to be no stronger this season.