Threatened Suit Cancels HLU Film

A threatened lawsuit stemming from conflicting film distribution rights has forced Liberal Union officials to cancel tonight's scheduled showing of the controversial French film, "Manon."

HLU Film Series Director Michael H. Jorrin '55 originally rented the film from its New York distributor, Brandon Films, which claimed to have the theatrical showing rights. These rights entitle their owner to charge admission to a movie that is open to the public.

Suit Threatened

Sunday morning, after the Liberal Union had spent a large sum advertising "Manon," George Meyer of Boston's Hub Films informed Jorrin that he owned the theatrical showing rights for all six New England states and would sue the HLU if the picture were shown. Both Brandon and Rub Films have been awarded limited rights from the film's national distributor, Discina International. "There are obviously conflicting rights," noted Jorrin.

"Manon," which has been banned by the Boston censors, is not banned in Cambridge. Meyer claims that if he allowed the HLU to have a film of such high commercial value on a first run performance, its value to him in Boston would be lessened if the films ban were lifted at some later date. Jorrin, however, sees the action "as just another attempt by national distributors to control commercial theatres."

"This is restraint of trade," he maintains. "The distributors are becoming monopolistic."

Afraid that Doan Watson's office may remove University protection, the Liberal Union cancelled "Manon." Instead, it will show Joan Coeteau's "Orphous." For those who would prefer to see "Manon," Jorrin says that the HLU "will make every effort to arrange a special free screening anyway."

The Liberal Union's only similar difficulty occurred four years ago when the University Theatre threatened the HLU with suit if they went ahead with their scheduled showing of "Odd Man Out." The suit was settled before reaching court