College Plans New Courses For Next Year

By Marguerite L. Stern

Almost all majors departments plan extensive course changes for next year, it was announced yesterday. Numerous new courses are scheduled to be given in '53-54.

"Art and Expression in American Literature," a new course offered by the English department, will be given by guest lecturer Alfred Kazin, noted critic. He will deal with fiction, poetry, history, and philosophy drawn from all periods of American literature. The English department also announced that English 160, Modern English and American Drama, will be given by a guest lecturer from Stanford University.

Social Relations 1 will be a half course in the spring of 1954. It will stress selected problems concerning the relationship between the individual and society. The course was a full course this year.

Social Relations 185, a new course called "Psychological and Social Aspects of Medicine," will be given in the fall term. It is designed for pre-med students.

New Fine Arts Courses

The Fine Arts department is offering a half course in the fall on "Italian Painting of the Fifteenth Century." A course on Japanese art will also be given in the fall. Fine Arts 170, formerly a half course, has been expanded to 170a and 170b, two half courses. The first half is "Art of the Nineteenth Century" and the second "Art of the Twentieth Century."

New courses in Comparative Literature include "Heroic Poetry--the Literary Epic" and "Selected Readings in Humanism."

"The History of the Low Countries from the Eleventh Century to 1555" and "The Italian Risorgimento" are among the new courses to be given by the History department next year. Other new courses in history include "The Ottoman Empire and the Near East Since the End of the Thirteenth Century," "The History of Argentina," "Science and the Modern State," "Science in America," and "The Rise of Scientific Cosmology--Aristotle to Newton."

Philosophy Changes

The Philosophy department plans to offer about six new undergraduate courses. A guest lecturer from the University of Michigan will give three courses, one on "Knowledge and Meaning," one on "Aesthetics," and one on "The Concepts and Methods of Ethics."

A guest lecturer from Yale will give a course in "Comparative Methodology of Natural and Social Sciences." "Political Philosophy," another new course to be given in the spring term, will deal with the central purposes served by government, law, and economy.

The Philosophy department will also offer a new half course in the spring on "Hegel and His Influence."

Two new courses to be given by the Economics department are "Applied Economic Analysis" and "Input-Output Analysis."

Other popular courses which will not be given next year include Nat. Sci. 5, Humanities 5, Humanities 111 and 117, Nat Sci. 112, Comp. Lit. 161 and 166, History 147, and English 190, P. and R.