Ten Crushes Engineers; Freshmen Top Middlesex

By Walter B. Dregman

It wasn't much of a contest. In fact, to all intents and purposes yesterday's 17 to 5 varsity lacrosse victory over M.I.T. was little more than a warm-up for Saturday's game with Dartmouth. Scoring at will, substituting freely and generally enjoying themselves, the Crimson ten trampled the Engineers with little effort.

As in past tilts, the varsity took an early lead, 8 to 0, showing the scoring punch that has been present in all games since the disastrous spring trip. Attackman Phil Waring took a pass from Monk Aiello at 3:46 and flipped in the first of his six goals. Aiello countered one minute later, unassisted, firing from ten feet out, beginning his run of five goals.

Skip Baldwin got the next tally, also unassisted, followed shortly by Aiello again. At 9:51 midfielder Chuck Edwards, playing with Hank Rate and converted defenseman Bob Larsen on the third line, took a loose ball and quick-sticked it in for the score. Aiello then took a pass from Waring to score and end the goals for the period.

Noting the impending rout, Coach Bruce Munro put in the reserves. They held the scoring down to three goals for the second frame while the Engineers got their lone tally at 11:53. The third period was also rather barren of scoring, as Waring got two more goals on assists by Ed Curtis and Aiello. In the fourth frame, Munro again called on his veterans, giving them still more game experience, as they hit for the final six counters.

The scoring strength of the Crimson came, as usual, from the attack segment of the team, as it accounted for 11 goals and all but two of the 12 assists.

Freshmen Boat Middlesex

Aided by a fast-moving, coordinated attack, the freshman lacrosse team whipped Middlesex School, 15 to 10, yesterday afternoon. It was the fifth victory of the spring for the Yardling team.

Captain Dexter Lewis led the attack with three goals and five assists. Attackman Don Dawidoff and midfielder Bobby Lloyd shared high-scoring honors with four goals apiece. Each had one assist.

Despite heavy penalties, including three and one-half minutes on Lewis for intentional slashing, the Yardlings took control early in the game. Middlesex scored first at 00:15 of the first period, but trailed 2 to 1 by the period's end.

At the end of the third period, the Crimson had an 11 to 7 lead, and then gained another point over Middlesex in the final quarter. The freshmen play Dartmouth this Saturday.