Deacon Superintendent James Yule Will Retire After 24 Years of Duty

By John J. Iselin

James C. Yule revealed last night that he is retiring July 1st after 23 years as superintendent of Kirkland House.

He is the last to leave the House of the men who opened newly-renovated Kirkland to upperclassmen in the fall of '29, but under a University ruling he is not permitted to work after reaching the age of 65.

After one year of duty, Yule left the University police force to start building his reputation as "the friendliest superintendent at the College." At the Deacon House he long ago settled into his undisputed roles as checker champion and traditional performer in the annual Christmas play.

Group pictures of past Kirkland actors line the wall of his office. In the middle of every one of them stands the square-set superintendent with wig covering his thick grey hair or smiling through a Tart's make-up.

Checker Champ

After supper, "J.C." drops down to the Junior Common Room for his nightly checkers with "the boys." For 23 straight years he has easily taken the best Kirkland can throw against him. "I've had too much experience for them," the ex-Cambridge checker champ admits.

"I keep the boys happy, keep myself happy, and never had a bit of trouble," he says. Yule's office looks out over the main passageway to the House.

By the end of graduation week every year, Yule says he can hardly lift his arm. "I can't remember the names of half of them after so long, but all the old Kirklanders spend the whole time shaking my hand."

"I've grown so attached to the boys and the House that I can't imagine net being here. I've seen them come and go, and now I hate to go, but this year I've got to graduate whether I want to or net."