Happy Harvard Hydra

Former Crimson cartoonist Elliot L. Hoffman '51, now a student at Yale Law School, writes: "I advise you to issue a nationwide call to all Harvard-lovers to be on the look-out for this man. As a follower of Darwin, I am positive that some-where there has evolved this man in answer to Harvard's need for a new president. Because of his various and unique duties as the new president he is unlike other men in many ways and should not be hard to recognize.

"He is fully equipped for instantaneous audial (A) and visual (B) communication with information centers. Special face for Congressional hearings (C) and Boston face (D) may be interchanged and lowered by mechanism (E). Policy-making hand (F) and Back-slapper (G) are also interchangeable. (H) and (I) are necessary for hurried conferences. "(J) holds 'classified' information. White shoe (K) is a crowd-pleaser within the undergraduate set. Deep palm (L) is especially useful during alumni fund drives. Two necks allow the new president to wear two collars and two ties (M) in the interest of a liberal admissions policy.

"Unless such a man can be found immediately, I recommend that the Corporation and the Board of Overseers sit back and let evolution run its course. In the alternative there's me."