Finley Gives Baccalaureate; Urges Forgetfulness of Self

Loss of self love is the only way through which the individual cast avoid the repetitive mire of modern society, John H. Finley '25, Master of Eliot House and professor of Greek, told capped-and-gowned seniors assembled in Memorial Church yesterday afternoon.

Finley delivered the Baccalaureate sermon in the absence of President Conant. He was selected by officers of the Senior Class. The Baccalaureate service was conducted by Willard L. Sperry, Dean of the Divinity School.

For the novelty awaiting in the years after college "will emerge in half-familiar forms," said Finley. ".... courage is the soul's willingness to accept novelty. It is the bed rock of all the virtues .... a watchdog at the door of the future to see that it stays open. But if courage waits and watches, love walks through the door. Only love can do so, because it alone has sufficient self-forgetfulness to venture freely beyond the self; hence it alone can see the world in its size and novelty."

But there are dangers. "There is a river to cross," Finley added, "which is loss of self. Only the saints, I imagine, cross permanently, but all of us know moments of crossing."

"... Love equally leads on to intellect. The objectivity of science assumes a willing discipline of self sufficient to see things for themselves."