CEEB Starts Scholarship Service; King to Help Administer Program

Monro Plan Scheduled To Start Next Week; 94 Colleges Listed

By Jack Rosenthal

After almost a year and a half of planning, the College Entrance Examination Board next week will inaugurate full-scale national operation of the College Scholarship Service, its answer to competitive bidding by colleges for exceptional students. The announcement was made yesterday by William C. Fels, associate director of the Board.

The program, based on the plan first proposed in the spring of 1953 by John U. Monro '34, director of the Financial Aid Center here, will comprise 94 colleges, including the eight Ivy Group schools.

"This is about 20 more participants than we expected last spring," Fels said yesterday. He pointed out that this increase will make the program all the more useful, since there will be information on more applicants to the schools.

This information will consist of family financial statements, which were formerly, collected individually by the schools. Under the Scholarship Service, applicants will file only one statement, with the CEEB, which will relay duplicates to schools designated by the student.

Computation Manual Due

The individual schools will then decide how much financial aid--if any--they will award to each applicant; these offers will be compiled and published by the Service as a check on bidding.

Although Monro and his operations committee are still working on a formula for the computation of need which will be suitable on a nation-wide basis, the Service will also offer temporary help in this capacity. It will send each school a manual for computation based on the Harvard system, which participants may or may not use.

This will not preclude schools from continuing to meet in small groups to discuss common applicants, Fels emphasized.