Freshman Debate Council Discusses Fifth Amendment

Dean Von Stade has approved a series of public debates by freshmen on whether the University has complete academic freedom, the Union Debating Council announced last night. This topic follows President Pusey's suggestion last year that the Council discuss teachers' use of the Fifth Amendment.

University officials, according to the Council, hope that debate question will promote critical thinking among the participants and members of the College. The proposition to be debated is "Resolved: That American Colleges should adopt a policy of complete academic freedom."

Sixty Signed Up

Over 60 freshmen have already signed up for the debating which will begin on Wednesday. These contestants are now divided into tow-man teams that will argue both sides of the topic. After the first four rounds of debating, the top squads will compete for a special trophy.

The Freshman Union Council has made arrangements with various faculty advisors and members of the Varsity Debating Council to judge the contests. There will be opportunities for open questioning and discussion following each contest. The Varsity Council staged a model debate last night to give an idea of the arguments to freshman participants.