GenEd A Sections To Be Run by Men Of Other Fields

Instructors from departments throughout the University will instruct freshmen in General Education Ahf this year.

Harold C. Martin, director of the required freshman course, announced yesterday that his staff this year will include section men from the Linguistics, Slavic, Philosophy, German, and Comparative Literature Departments--as well as the usual number of men from the English Department.

The new procedure will be an experiment both for the instructors and for their students. "We believe that any competent scholar here, in practically any field, should be able to give a freshman writing course," Martin said. "General Education Ahf is not primarily a composition course," he continued. "English C and other courses in that department are available to those who want simply to develop their style."

The main purpose of General Education Ahf is, according to Martin, to develop students' powers of clear, logical expression. He thinks instructors from such fields as Linguistics and Philosophy will be able to assist this purpose significantly.

He also expects the new men to be able to make valuable contributions to the staff meetings with suggestions for reading and instruction.

Honors sections, initiated in the middle of last term for exceptionally competent students, have been continued this fall. On the basis of College Board scores, 210 freshmen were permitted to take a special exam in English composition. Out of these, 85 were selected for the honors groups. There will be an increase in these sections during the second term.