Council Cautions Conservatives on SFA; McNiff Will Consider Lamont Changes

House Tour Shows Library Inadequacy

University officials have now recognized present library inadequacies and are willing to make changes in Lamont and House library regulations if necessary, Stephen R. Reynolds '55 announced to the Student Council last night.

As a result of a tour of the House libraries taken by Reynolds and Lamont Librarian Phillip J. McNiff, officials are no longer saying "no" categorically when pressed to extend Lamont hours during exam period. They now are willing to "approach the problem from a rational viewpoint and counter our arguments," Reynolds said.

Reynolds has been able to point out to McNiff that House libraries are inadequate for late exam period studying. During the coming few weeks McNiff and Reynolds will present their findings to the Faculty Library Committee, which will attempt a solution of the problem.

Reynolds will present an argument to them to prove that the use of Lamont as a study hall is justifiable, in spite of existing House facilities.

House Libraries Overcrowded

His tour of the House system with McNiff has showed that there is a "maximum practical capacity, in the House libraries beyond which the efficiency of students working is inversely proportional to the number present." The total maximum capacity of the House libraries is below the demand for study-space caused at 10 p.m. by the closing of Lamont, according to figures taken last year.

Reynolds will demonstrate to the Library Committee that the University's failure to make special provisions for Lamont during exam period would be like the Post Office not making special arrangements during the Christmas rush season for extended hours, deliveries, and postmen.