Departments to Boost Term-time Wage Rates

Taylor Makes Effort To Lighten Burden Of Self Supporters

By William W. Bartley iii

Wages for term-time employment have been substantially raised throughout the University in an effort to reduce working hours for self-supporting students.

Most departments have "redefined" their student jobs, equalizing undergraduate pay rates to those of Cambridge youths doing the same type of work. For the past several years, the local teen-agers had frequently been paid more for the same tasks.

The new rates will enable students to earn the same amounts as previously, while working several hours less per week, according to Graham R. Taylor '49, director of the Office of Student Employment. Taylor hopes many students will be left more time for extracurricular activities and studies.

Dining hall wages have been increased from $.75 to $.85 per hour in most places. In addition all dining hall students will for the first time be given one free meal per day, prorated at a $.67 daily value.

Library Salaries

Most library wages also have risen from $.75 to $.85. Several of the University's smaller libraries, however, have not yet changed their rates. According to Miss Gladys M. Fales, supervisor of the Employment Office, libraries will begin this year a new policy of hiring college students whenever possible instead of giving so many jobs to local high school students.

University and professors' offices will gradually raise their wages for occasional clerical jobs in the coming few months. "But many have been paying the same amounts for so long that it is hard to change their habits." Miss Fales said.

The general reappraisal of the employment system here was fired partly by Student Council efforts last spring to equalize undergraduate wages with those of Cambridge employees, and partly from Taylor's own efforts. Taylor has attempted to bring about the pay hikes to help compensate for increasing costs, and to accommodate increased student interest in employment caused by the new income tax law.