Council Votes To Eliminate Senior Group

Decision Against Class Day Committee Only Tentative

The Student Council last night tentatively decided to eliminate the traditional Class Day Committee by incorporating its function with that of the Permanent Class Committee.

The Council also tentatively passed a motion placing election to the Permanent Class Committee on a partly House basis. This means that at least one member of the committee would be affiliated with each House, including Dudley.

Both decisions are subject to final confirmation, however. On both votes the Council adopted so-called "considered" motions, meaning they will have to pass the motions again at the Council's next meeting.

The motion to combine the functions of the two all-senior committees into one 12-man group came unexpectedly. It preceded discussion of the scheduled topic, selection of both committees on a House basis, and was passed unanimously.

Steven L. Reynolds '55, who made the motion, pointed out that past Permanent Class Committees have had a minimum of immediate responsibility and could easily assume Class Day Committee duties of arranging Commencement Week activities for seniors.

Would Offer Opportunity

The proposed amalgamation, he continued, would offer the group as opportunity of working together before leaving College.

The system which was proposed for selection of the Permanent Committee provides for the election of four members "at large," the first three to be Class Marshals. After the voter checks any four candidates, he then votes in preferential order for any number of candidates from his own House.

Despite considerable debate on the advisability of placing class positions partially on a House basis, the "considered" motion passed 13 to 1.