Democrats Have Big Lead In Fight to Control House

As of 4 a.m. this morning, the Democratic Party stood within five seats of gaining definite control of the new House of Representatives. With conclusive results in from 360 of 435 races, it was estimated that the final House make-up would be 235 Democrats and 200 Republicans--a substantial majority for a party not in the White House.

The Democrats had already won 213 House seats, bringing them close to the minimum majority of 218 Representatives, and they were leading in 22 other contests. The G.O.P. meanwhile had won 147 seats and was leading in 53 other races.

Among the more surprising House contests were two in Florida and Texas, where Republican Congressmen were elected in traditionally Democratic districts. Also unexpected was the result in the First District of Utah, where Republican Henry Dixon, after only two weeks of campaigning, won the Congressional seat recently vacated by the discredited hero Douglas Stringfellow.

Massachusetts' 14 Congressional districts seems to have split on a seven-seven basis between the two parties.

The following candidates have apparently been elected to the House of Representatives from the Commonwealth: First District, Esleton, Republican; Second District, Bolin, Democrat; Third District, Philbin, Democrat; Fourth District, Donahue, Democrat; Fifth District, Rogers, Republican; Sixth District, Bates, Republican; and Seventh District, Lane, Democrat.

Other successful Congressional candidates are: Eighth District, Goodwin, Republican; Ninth District, Nicholson, Republican; Tenth District, Holz, Democrat; Eleventh District, O'Neill, Democrat; Twelfth District, McCormack, Democrat; Thirteenth District; Wigglesworth, Republican; and Fourteenth District, Martin, Republican.