Varsity Defeats Trinity, 3-2; Hank Holmes Leads Scoring

The varsity soccer team, playing its finest soccer of the season, won its fifth game of the year yesterday by downing a highly-rated Trinity team, 3 to 2, on a muddy Business School field.

The Crimson displayed a tight, well-coordinated defense, holding high-scoring Ken Swanson scoreless. Goalie Lindsay Fischer's 12 saves included one he caught off the goal post and another he was just able to deflect over the nets. Halfbacks Stacey Holmes and Denny Little tackled with precision, and repeatedly stopped Trinity scoring attempts.

Although the varsity dominated the play in the first quarter, the Hilltoppers' Doug Raynard, sophomore left inside, scored the first goal at 5:10. But at 9:44 left wing Hank Holmes took a pass from Grey Hodnett, dribbled 20 yards, and tallied on a hard, low shot from outside the penalty area.

Trinity Leads at Half

Exhibiting an accurate passing game, Trinity outplayed the varsity in the second end quarter, and led at the half, 2 to 1. Marv Weiss' sixth goal of the season, however, at 10:05 of the third quarter tied the score, his shot following Bill Linglebach's fine corner kick.

From the middle of the third quarter on, the Crimson's aggressive play out-classed the Hilltoppers. Bill Cowperthwaite, varsity right wing, added the game-winning goal at 5:10 of the final period after taking a cross from Hank Holmes.

The Crimson's next opponent will be Princeton this coming Saturday, on the Tigers' home field.