David Steps Down

Dean Donald K. David's retirement from the Business School this summer officially ends 35 years of intimate association with business education at Harvard and in the nation. First as teacher, then assistant dean, and finally as dean, David has stimulated new objectives for his school.

Half a year from retirement, David may feel justly proud of his contributions to the Business School's national leadership. His foresight during World War II helped the faculty to re-orient the curriculum to post-war business conditions. His insistence that the school maintain close ties with industry aided his campaign for twenty million dollars to build endowment and research funds. And his wide friendships with leaders in government and business have encouraged industry to accept the new doctrines developed at Harvard.

David has also helped pioneer the job of educating American businessmen to their responsibilities to the community as well as their business. This theme of social obligation he has repeatedly stressed to graduate students, faculty, and top executives. To further this awareness he has developed the school's program of adult business education.

When David retires he leaves the Business School in its best financial, physical, and academic condition in twenty-five years. He leaves a strong faculty convinced that nothing in business education is static, and that the measure of a successful business school is its ability to keep itself one step ahead of industry.