G.S.A.S. Grants Increase To Meet Mounting Costs

Small Scholarships To Be Discontinued

Scholarships will be larger than in past years, but will be granted to fewer students in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences next year in order not to "strangle" the small scholarship holder, Dean Francis M. Rogers announced yesterday.

Rogers emphasized that the total amount of aid given will remain the same. The new scholarships will pay tuition and add an additional sum for expenses.

"An $800 grant 50 years ago was big, but it is not sufficient now," he stated. "Money just does not go as far as it used to. Consequently, we have to double up on scholarships to take care of students' needs."

Rogers said that the increase in the size of grants will be made to compensate for a Committee on Scholarships ruling that prohibits all scholarship holders from prohibits all scholarship holders from working more than ten hours a week. Under this ruling, students with small scholarships have little means of supplementing them, the dean explained supplementing them the dean explained.

Program Acceleration

The Committee on Scholarships first advanced larger individual scholarships five years ago and has been slowly increasing the size and decreasing the number since then. This year, however, marks the committee's first attempt to speed up its program.

Under this new plan, grants will show a steady decrease as the student progresses through graduate school, largely because of a decrease in tuition for the third and subsequent years. Tuition for the third and subsequent years. Tuition is $700 for the first two years and $200 thereafter.