Yale Runners Win Big 3 Title Meet; Princeton Second

NEW HAVEN, Feb. 22-Yale completely overpowered both Princeton and Harvard today to capture the Big Three indoor track title for the second straight year. The Tigers, with upset wins in the last two relays, took second place.

The Elis had 59 3/4 points. Princeton 42 1/4, and the Crimson, 35.

But while the varsity was losing, the freshmen; after beating Exeter Saturday, were sparked by the outstanding performances of Joel Cohen and Dick Wharton, and eased to the "little" Big Three title. Princeton was second.

As Coach Bill McCurdy had fore-seen, the Crimson's second place chances hinged on how well Bob Rittenburg could do. With his foot taped above his ankle, Rittenburg succeeded in winning the broad jump, and tying for first in the high jump. But, when another victory would have given the varsity a chance for second place, Rittenburg's foot gave in on him. He gamely staggered through the hurdles to finish last.

Hal Gerry, the only Crimson runner predicted to win, ran true to form, winning the two-mile. Paced for a 4:46 mile by teammate Hubie Maguire, Gerry loped home ahead of Ed Mills of Princeton with a 9:46. Maguire was third.

The mile quartet of Jack Richards, Dave Alpers, Warron Little, and Alan Howe, which holds the Crimson indoor record for the event, was caught at the finish by a strong Princeton foursome of Jim Groom, Tom Eglin, Gaby Markisohn and Joe Meyers. Meyers, with a powerful kick, caught Howe with about 180 yards to go. The winning time was 3:22.

The Elis scored heavily in the weights, pole vault, middle distances, and mile run. Steward Thompson, a massive weight thrower and shot putter, took both events for Yale with heaves of 53 feet 3 1/4 inches and 50 feet 4 1/4 inches respectively.

The other Yale winners were Bill Donegan and Harry Work, a tie in the pole vault; Ross Price in the 600; Mike Stanley in the 1000; and John Meader in the mile.

Cohen turned in a track and field exhibition today which was close to sensational. He took the broad jump, dash and hurdles without being pressed. His time in the hurdles of 7.8 was faster than that recorded by Al Keller, winning the varsity event for Princeton.

Wharton, the Yardling captain, in a blistering 600, defeated Al Ward, the Eli's outstanding middle distance man. Catching Ward on the last turn, Wharton had a good 1:14.1.