Friedrich Criticizes U.S. Emphasis on E.D.C.

By Daniel A. Rezneck

United States insistence upon rapid implementation of the European Defense Community is jeopardizing the success of American foreign policy in the cold war, Carl J. Friedrich, professor of Government, told the the United Nations Council Forum in Burr Hall last night.

"We are caught, we are captives of the clumsy diplomacy we have followed," Friedrich said. Referring to American pressure on the reluctant French to ratify E.D.C., Friedrich continued, "To say to the French that they must have a European Army even if they don't want it is plain tomfoolery."

The United States cannot new abandon the European Army plan, however, Friedrich admitted. "A year ago we could have. Now it would appear as a retreat before the Soviets."

Friedrich found little encouragement in the recent Big Four Foreign Ministers' Conference in Berlin. "The one solution that might have come from Berlin--either a radical rupture with Russia or a genuine agreement--did not occur," he said. "Realistically we must admit that Berlin was not a victory for the West but a defeat."

Meric Fainsod, professor of Government and member of the Russian Research Center, was equally pessimistic about the Berlin conference. "Essentially the position has been fixed," Fainsod explained; the Soviet Union seems determined to maintain its post-war gains, particularly its hold on East Germany, without serious thought of a general settlement of European problems.

Reviewing statements by Soviet leaders in the months preceding the Berlin Conference, Fainsod said, "It becomes clear that no noteworthy progress could have been made at Berlin. Berlin amounts to a Big Freeze as far as Europe is concerned."

Prospects for German unity in the foreseeable future are thus extremely dim Fainsod continued. "The challenge that looms ahead is to build a strong European community," he concluded.

Only Daniel Cheever, lecturer on Government, found cause even for guarded optimism in the Berlin conference. Citing Allied relaxation in the years after the First World War despite growing threats of aggression. Cheever said, "Had we really arrived at an apparent agreement at Berlin, we might have been in for a dangerous time."

Now economic and political co-operation among West European nations is likely to increase under the pressure of Soviet intransigence, Cheever emphasized. The Western alliance remains firm in the face of constant Soviet diplomatic efforts to dissolve it, he said.

A second source of hope, according to Cheever, is the agreement at Berlin to discuss Asian questions in another conference in April. "At least an opportunity is emerging to begin to talk about a settlement in the Far East," Cheever said.

Adam Ulam, assistant professor of Government, moderated the forum