Crimson Sextet Tops Northeastern To End Two-Year Exam Period Jinx

By John J. Iselin

The hockey team put together a consistently tight defense and a rapidly improving offense to break decisively a two-year post-exam period Northeastern jinx at the Garden last night. The Crimson scored its second highest total of the season, topping the Huskies, 7 to 2.

For two years in a row Northeastern has handed the practice-shy varsity losses in its first game after exam period, but last night it took less than a period for Cooney Weiland's team to shake off most of the effects of its three-week lay-off. The Crimson scored once in the first period, twice in the second, and four times in the third. A little less astute goal-tending by the Huskies' Don Whynot would have resulted in at least four more Crimson scores.

Patton at Second Defense

Veteran Tony Patton returned to defense for the first time this year, turning in a vigorous game of body-checking as well as scoring an assist on Captain Normie Wood's tie breaking goal in the second period. His checking, together with that of Jeff Coolidge and Ed Mrkonich, who had two assists, had the Husky attack definitely body-contact shy by the end of the evening.

Jeb Bray netted a goal and an assist, while Wood, Scott Cooledge and Dick Clasby each had two scores. Clasby came the closest of the three to a hat trick, missing a shot by inches in the third period.

The Huskies jumped to a quick one-gaol lead on a freak bounce past Chaune Flynn at 1:44 of the opening period. Second on a pass from Manchester at 12:30, and a three man play, Bray to Patton on the blue line to Wood next to the cage, put the varsity ahead at 1:42 of the middle stanza. Ned Bliss passed out for number three to end the period.

Clasby, playing on the third lien at both center and wing, took a face-off pass from Frank Mahoney and whipped the puck past Whynot for his first score, and a few minutes later he split the defense for his second. Cooledge followed with his second goal on a solo at 15:11, and Wood knocked in his second at 18:18 on a pass from Markonich. The Huskies added their final goal with a half minute remaining in the game.