Stevenson's Godkin Lectures To Study 'A Troubled World'

Adlai E. Stevenson's evaluation of "A Troubled World" will be the subject of this year's three Godkin Lectures, Edward S. Mason, Dean of the School of Public Administration and organizer of the lectures, announced yesterday.

"Ordeal of the Mid-Century" is the title of Stevenson's first lecture, scheduled for 8 p.m., March 17, in Sanders Theatre. "Perpetual Peril" and "Some Cautionary Comments" are the titles of his last two talks, which will be delivered in Sanders on March 18 and 19.

"There isn't any just way of distributing seats," explained Mason, "so the doors will be opened to the public at 7:15." Some 200 seats will be reserved, however, for members of the faculty and students in the School of Public Administration.

Overflow Crowd Expected

The overflow crowd expected by Mason will be seated in the New Lecture Hall, where Stevenson's speeches will be broadcast by WHRB and the Lowell Institute over WGBH.

The Godkin Lectures are usually given in January, but were postponed this year to fit Stevenson's schedule.

Last year's Godkin lecturer was John J. McCloy, former High Commissioner to Germany, who was replaced by ex-President Conant. He suggested restraints on the military and strong envoys abroad. In the previous two years, Senator Paul A. Douglas (D-III.) and General Lucius D. Clay were the guest lecturers.

The Godkin Lectures are named after 19th century newspaperman Edwin L. Godkin, founder and publisher of The Nation. In 1903, the year after Godkin's death, the first of the Godkin Lectures was delivered by Lord James Bryce, England's ambassador to the United States, noted for his critical opinion of the quality of American presidents.

Stevenson was the Democratic Party's nominee for President in 1952. Before that, he served as Governor of Illinois. He graduated from Princeton University, and attended Harvard Law School. He received his law degree from Northwestern University.