Eliot Pins Down Mat Title, Beating Lowell House, 20-15

Eliot edged Lowell, 20 points to 15, to claim the inter-House wrestling title last night before a sparse crowd of 200 spectators in the Blockhouse.

The Elephants trundled off with four of the class crowns. The 147 pound title remained with defending champion Bill Schoeberein as he felled Winthrop's Lloyd Aiello in three minutes flat. Henry Ziegler also won by a fall in defeating Kirkland's Bob Swan for the 167 pound title. The remaining two crowns went to Noel Scullin at 177 and Tim Anderson at the unlimited weight, who won by falls from Adams' Mel Ingalls and Lou LeFevre of Winthrop.

Lowell also managed to have its only three contestants each take a crown. Lawrence Wilde of the Bellboys, the only other defending champion to enter the finals, retained his 157 pound crown by taking a 3 to 0 decision from the Deacons' John Lane. Two of Wilde's Housemates, Al Muggia and Dave Royce, won the 130 and 123 crowns as they defeated their respective opponents in hard-fought, five-minute falls.

In the sole remaining House match, Leverett pinned down the 137-pound title, as Bancroft Wheeler halted Adams' Pete Coker, who sustained a shoulder injury.

Adams finished third with nine points, Winthrop and Kirkland tied with six, and Leverett collected a scant five. Dudley and Dunster entered no men in the finals.

Hollis, with 15 points, won the freshman title by nipping Matthews North and Apley, who both totalled 13.

The Yardling victor had three individual champions. At 167, John Weaver stopped Chris Fasiotis of Apley, Dave McLean defeated John Butcher of Matthews North in the 137 pound bout, and Bob Holmes won over Ed Johnson of Massachusetts Hall at 130.

Apley and Matthews North, the runner-ups, divided the remaining four titles. The former took the 147 and 167 pound class championships, while Matthews notched the 123 and 157 pound titles.