FILMS, DOLLARS, and ORGANIZATION

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

Though your editorial of March 19th on films points up many of the evils of Ivy Cinema, it does not show sufficient understanding of the difficulties confronting the undergraduate organization.

Annually the United Nations Council has been faced with the problem of obtaining money sufficient to sponsor the forums and other activities planned during the year. Contributions and membership fees were not enough. Hence in the last few years the UN Council has been forced to put on movies. Without this added revenue both the quality and quantity of the Council's activities would have suffered.

The CRIMSON has correctly brought out the not totally satisfactory character of Ivy Cinema. However, your proposed solution does not really get down to the bottom of the matter. Once you have evicted the UN Council from the film industry, you are still left with broader and more basic question of how these undergraduate groups are to acquire the necessary funds for their activities. Considerations of this more basic problem might lead to more fruitful and constructive results. Perhaps a dollar ticket entitling its holder to attend all that club's forums held during the academic year would not only provide income sufficient for the political club to operate, but also put an end once and for all to an arrangement that has pleased few. Duncan H. Cameron '56