Hawkins Ties Own Record In Invitational Swimming Meet

Dave Hawkins tied his own 200-yard breast stroke record of 2:15.9 last night to win his event in the Eastern Intercollegiate Invitational Swimming Championships. The meet was held at Princeton's Dilion Pool.

Backstroker Don Mulvey, free style Jim Jorgenson, and diver Bob Snails all reached the EIC finals, but then failed to place among the top three in their events. The 400-yard freestyle relay team finished fifth.

Hawkins time for the breaststroke was the fastest registered for that event in the country this year. It tied his own 2:16.9 mark against Columbia earlier in the season.

Jorgennen, handicapped by a bad cold and a slight fever, finished fifth in the 220-yard freestyle with a time of 2:12.5. John Glover of Dartmouth won the event in 2:08.4, three-tenths of a second short of Jorgenson's record time against Yale last Saturday.

Don Mulvey, the Crimson All-American back stroker, finished fourth in the 200-yard backstroke. Pete Wittereid of Army repeated his mid-season win over Mulvey with a 2:12.4 first place finish. Mulvey's time was 2:19.

In the closest race of the meet, the Crimson's 400 yard freestyle relay team finish fifth behind Dartmouth, Yale, Cornell, and Navy.

Yale, Eastern League champions, won easily in the one meter dive, taking first and third places. The Crimson's Robert Small finished sixth, 146 points behind winner Ken Welch.

In the 50 yard freestyle, Gus Johnson failed by one second to place for the Crimson in the finals. Kerry Donovan of Yale won the event in 22.5 seconds.

The Easterns continue today with seven events, including the all-important 300 yard medley relay.