Mark a Million

Undergraduate dramatic groups have cursed the University's completely inadequate theatre facilities since the days of George Pierce Baker. But they have never done anything about it. Always, they placed their hopes in some rich alumnus rumored nearly ready to sign a check for the half million or so that was needed. The rich alumnus never signed.

Spurred by the sympathetic response of the new administration, the Harvard College Theatre Committee last winter made the first efforts to crystallize undergraduate opinion into active support. The Committee's planned benefit production of O'Neil's Marco Millions to spearhead a renewed drive this spring shows just how strong this support has grown. Its magnitude is shown by the number and diversity of the many other College groups besides the Dramatic Club that have agreed to help. The play will undoubtedly add to the funds already accumulated, but this is not its most valuable contribution. If it will convince alumni and friends of the University of the strength of undergraduate interest and talent, it is worth the support of the whole community.