Varsity Quintet Plays Penn After Yale Loss

Alone in the cellar of the Eastern Intercollegiate Basketball League after losing Saturday, 77 to 63, to Yale at New Haven, the Crimson will try to salvage a tie for last place when it meets Pennsylvania at 5 p.m. today in the I.A.B.

If the varsity whips the third-place Quakers, it will end the season in a seventh-place deadlock with Brown. The Crimson now has won two games and lost eleven in the league for a nine and 15 won-and-lost record going into the last game of the season.

The Crimson will be at a disadvantage against Penn as it was against Yale, because of ankle injuries to center Dick Manning and Captain Ed Krinsky. Manning sat out the game Saturday and is unlikely to play today. Krinsky sparked the team against the Elis but it is doubtful how far he will be able to go against Penn.

Manning's rebounding was sorely missed by the varsity Saturday night. Behind by 34 to 31 at the half, the Elis outscored the Crimson, 25 to 8, in the third quarter, mostly on fast breaks.

Sacks Scores 24 Points

Harry Sacks tied with Jim Piecas for the night's scoring honors with 24 points apiece. Plecas' teammates, Captain Spence Schnaitter and Frank Demcak, scored 16 and 15 points respectively for Yale. Bill Dennis hit for 12 for the Crimson.

Tonight varsity Coach Norm Shepard will start seniors Dennis, Krinsky, and Ed Condon in their last game, along with Sacks and Bob Bowman. The other Crimson senior, Ed Blodnick, is also expected to see action.

Penn, with a nine and four league record, will play forwards Joe Sturgis and Dick Heylmun, center Bart Leach, and guards Karl Hoagland and Fran Mulroy. The Quakers lost a chance to tie for first place in the league Saturday by losing, 57 to 56, to Cornell at Philadelphia.