Stoico's Home Run Defeats Varsity Nine, 3-1, Yesterday

By Bernard M. Gwertzman

Joe Stoico's 360-feet home run with one man on base in the fourth inning yesterday broke up a tight pitching duel at Braves Field and gave Boston University a well-earned 3 to 1 victory over the varsity.

Stoico, a stocky 200-pound junior, was practically B.U.'s entire offense yesterday. In addition to his home run, the first baseman drove in his team's other run in the second inning with a one out single.

Despite the gray, overcast weather and the sparse crowd which gave spacious Braves Field almost a ghost-like atmosphere, the two local colleges turned in some exceptional early season baseball.

Sophomore Ken Rossano, the Crimson's promising right hander, showed Coach Stuffy McInnis that he can definitely be counted on when the league season gets under way next week. In the six innings he worked, he yielded six hits, all singles except Stoico's homer. Rossano struck out three, and walked three--one intentionally.

John Cooke, who relieved Rossano, also pitched good ball, yielding one hit in two innings.

Ted Barlas, a strong-armed right-hander, went five innings for B.U. and got credit for the win. He had to be lifted in the sixth, however, when the Crimson had runners on first and third with nobody out. Relief pitcher Vaughn Stedman stopped the varsity threat, and gave up only one hit the rest of the way.

The Crimson scored in the opening inning. With two down, Bill Cleary beat out a dribbler down the third base line and went to third on Don Butters' single to right center. He tallied on the end of a delayed double steal.

Crimson Threatens in Sixth

B.U. tied the score in the second inning when Tom Gastall singled, stole second, advanced to third on a long fly, and scored on Stoico's hit past short.

The varsity's only real threat was in the sixth. Cleary led off with a triple to left center, and Butters walked. At this point, Stedman came in and got first baseman John Maher on a grounder to the mound. Third baseman Jim Rahal hit sharply to short, but Jack Murphy's throw caught Cleary at the plate. With two on and two out, catcher George MacDonald lined deep to left for the final out.