Feeney, Students Come to Near Riot

By L. THOMAS Linden

Fists nearly became persuasion methods for and against "Father" Leonard J. Feeney in his war with the University, Jews, Protestants and Catholics, in a squabble at Adams House yesterday afternoon. Alan K. Campbell, Assistant Senior Tutor at Adams House, was accosted by Feeney before police broke up the near riot.

It all began when a freshman, returning to the Yard from a Dunster House interview, passed Feeney and two of his female followers on the Feeney side of Bow St., and said loud enough for them to hear, "Wouldn't it be fun to throw a rock through Mr. Feeney's window."

After one of the women retorted to the freshman, the Yardling asked again, "Wouldn't it be better if it were dynamite?"

Nothing further would have developed, because Feeney and his group went inside their St. Benedict's Center sanctuary and the freshmen continued on to Wigglesworth. But the freshmen returned, reinforced with friends, on the Adams House side of the street.

Feeney spotted them from a window, pointed, and sent four of his husky male followers out to get the freshman-joker's name. He refused to give it. At this point Campbell came out of his rooms in A entry and ordered everyone away.

Everyone went. But no sooner did the Feeney group get back to their side of the street when Feeney himself rushed out of St. Benedict's, leading his men across to Adams House again.

In anti-Semitic language they demanded the freshman's name once again. Feeney himself grabbed Campbell by the lapel, but he was given only the tutor's own name and was told any further information would have to come from the Dean's Office.

No punches were thrown, but face-to-face name-calling and chest-in-face threats were at their maximum when Cambridge and University police arrived.