Cooney And Boyd Lead Golf Team Against Wesleyan

With only a week of the season gone by, the varsity golf team takes its third southern road trip today. This time the team travels to Middletown, Connecticut, to play Wesleyan.

The golfers have already played four matches-against Army, Princeton, Boston University, and Bowdoin. In the Princeton and Army matches, the team was bothered by injuries and weather. But, against Wesleyan, neither should be a deciding factor.

Bruce Thurmond is good enough to play second or third man, but he has been playing fourth because of a thumb injury he suffered during the practice rounds at Pinehurst. Against Boston University, however, he shot a 71, sec only to Ted Cooney's 69.

Doug Boyd spent much of the week under the influence of penicillin. Now, however, he should be back in top form.

Number three man Jimmie Jones has played surprisingly well so far this season. Because of his fine short game, he was able to win on the 19th hole at Princeton; and against B.U., he turned in a 72.

Others playing against Wesleyan today will be number one man, Cooney, who consistently paces the team and Captain Jack Brophy, the only senior on the squad.

Pete Malkin and Bill McAllister round out the nine man team making the trip to Wesleyan.

Also on the varsity are two juniors, Kent Brown and Jim Hodder, and Sophomore Dick Savrann. In order for Brown, Hodder, or Savrann to play in varsity matches, they have to challenge and beat any of the present seven starters.