Yale Trackmen Finish First, Crimson Is Second in Relays

By Bernard M. Gwertzman

Yale, the IC4A indoor champion, gave warning at Soldiers Field Saturday that it is still the team to beat outdoors. With an overpowering show of strength in the field events, the Elis romped over a field of ten at the first annual New England Relays.

The Crimson, victorious in three relays, edged out Boston University for second place. Although there was no official team scoring, the unofficial placings behind these three were: Dartmouth, Rhode Island, Holy Cross, Brown, M.I.T., University of Massachusetts, and Providence.

Capturing three relay races, three field events and tying for first in another, the Blues were by far the class of the meet. Yale took the 440, sprint medley, and shuttle relays; the pole vault, shot put, and discus throw; and tied for first in the high jump.

Coach Bill McCurdy's Crimson, without Bob Rittonburg and Captain Jack Richards, who are both out with foot injuries, won the four mile and one mile relays, and the distance medley relay.

For the varsity, the most impressive performances were turned in by its two excellent quarter-milers, Renny Little and Dave Alpers. Little ran a first place first leg on the sprint medley team which finished second to Yale, and Alpers ran the opening 440 for the victorious distance medley. They both combined to run strong third and fourth legs for the mile relay team, which won in 3:24.2.

Little's third leg, which gave Alpers a tremendous lead, was 49.8 and Alpers coasted home with a 49.7. The other two men on the team were Phil Meyers and Al Wills.

The distance medley of Alpers, Meyers, Wills, and Hal Gerry eased home well ahead of second place Dartmouth.

The field events were dominated by Yale's strong men Tom Henderson, Stew Thompson, and pole vaulter Bill Donegan, but the Crimson placed Art Siler third in the discus, and Brian Reynolds tied for third in the high jump.

Meanwhile, the freshman track team, competing at Exeter, continued its undefeated streak. Coach Al Wilson's squad trounced the prep school, 76 to 41.