Square News Stands Fear Attack on Obscene Comics

By Bruce B. Paul

Magazine stand owners in the Square started taking a closer look at the comic books and pulp magazines they sell yesterday as Massachusetts Attorney General George Fingold announced that he will launch a drive later this week to remove all obscene literature from public sale.

Volunteering to aid Fingold, Albert Vollucci, a member of the Cambridge School Committee, charged last night that "there is too much of this filthy and corrupting literature floating around our city."

Velluci was particularly disturbed by the love-story comic books being sold in the Square. "I have now in my possession a magazine, "High School Romance," which advises teenagers whether they should keep on making love to their boy friends, how to do it, and tries to solve other romance troubles," Vellucci added.

Patrick J. Ready, Cambridge Police chief, seemed undisturbed about the current clean-up campaign. Asserting that "Cambridge has always been clean," Ready said, "we won't start off this drive with a rush." Ready thought the drive was strictly political. "It's getting along about election time again, and it's time to prepare for November," Ready added.

Clean Off Stands

Vellucci countered: "The crackdown is a good thing. They should clean off all the bookstands in Cambridge." He cited the so-called "funny books" as the cause of juvenile delinquency.

In the meantime, Fingold's assistants are compiling a digest of all state laws relating to salaciousness.