Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor Talks Justice, Civic Engagement at Radcliffe Day

Church Says It Did Not Authorize ‘People’s Commencement’ Protest After Harvard Graduation Walkout

‘Welcome to the Battlefield’: Maria Ressa Talks Tech, Fascism in Harvard Commencement Address

Multimedia

In Photos: Harvard’s 373rd Commencement Exercises

Rabbi Zarchi Confronted Maria Ressa, Walked Off Stage Over Her Harvard Commencement Speech

LINING THEM UP

Last Chance for Golfers

By Bruce B. Paul

When a team goes through a season undefeated, with seven consecutive victories and a Big Three championship, it can usually retire and rest on its laurels. But the Yardling track squad merely had a few weeks' breather and is now preparing to put its record on the line in its second season, this time outdoors.

Coach Al Wilson feels that his squad has already proved itself this year. However, he will lose some of his stars because of ineligibility and others to injuries before this season opens next Saturday. The additional outdoor field events also present a big problem, since Wilson has primarily a "running," rather than a "throwing" or "jumping" team.

Of the seven events in which the freshman squad looks strong, six are on the track. The best events should be the 440-yard dash, the mile, the two sprints, the two hurdles, and the high jump.

The quarter mile boasts Dave Alpers and Bob Morrison, both capable of breaking 50 seconds before the season ends. Sprinter Norm Bruck is a potential 10 second flat man in the 100-yard dash, and he is backed by Al Merson, Ed Carter, and recently injured Fred Smith. The 220 will have the same lineup, in addition to Morrison.

The two hurdles events outdoors as compared to a single event indoors should be a big help to the squad. Tom Gates, doubling with Carter, could provide a sure eight points a meet in each event.

Captain Al Wills, who turned in a 4:25.9 indoor mile against Yale, will be the big man in the mile. He is backed by Ken Wilson and Norm Hartness, who might provide a sweep.

The remaining running events come in the questionable group. Don French is a half-miler capable of bettering two minutes some time this season, but as yet he hasn't hit his peak. The two-mile could be strong if Jerry Whatmough, a professor's son, and Jim Gerry, brother of the varsity's star Hal, live up to their potential. So far, neither has shown up well outdoors.

Alpers, Morrison, Bruck and Carter will probably make up the relay team, which might prove a surprise if none of the boys are plagued by injuries. Cal Perkins will be the alternate for this group.

Field Events Are Problem

Although the Crimson will have only one sure place in the high jump, that place will undoubtedly be a first. But Bob Blake, a six foot two inch jumper in the K. of C. meet indoors, will not be supported by his indoor mate Fletch Hodges, who is ineligible for outdoors competition.

Finding even one top man in the rest of the field events might be a problem. Pole vaulter Kip Smith, an 11 foot 6 inch performer, is weakly backed by Ken Swan and Don Richards, who have not yet gone over 11 feet. Broad jumper Bob Hill, who hovers around 20 feet, is the sole man in that event who could even place against strong opposition.

The weight events also present a big problem. Art Siler and Red Snodgrass can put the shot only a little over 40 feet, which probably won't be good enough outdoors. The discus event is in fair shape, with Art Siler and Bob Morrison both around 130 feet. The javelin is the biggest problem, since Pete Morrison, capable of throwing 170 feet, will not be out this spring. The hammer, so far, is being handled by Win Smith and Bob Keith, but both boys need a lot of practice.

As Wilson surveys the outdoor prospects, he thinks he can win every meet. "Indoors, we had a good nucleus," he said, "but we won primarily because of a team that just ran the opposition into the ground."