Nine Faces Last Loop Test, Plays Crusaders Saturday

Exam period starts Wednesday for the College, but Coach Stuffy McInnis' varsity baseball team faces two of its more difficult tests during reading period, when it meets Penn today at 3:45 p.m. and Holy Cross tomorrow at 3.

Today's game, although probably easier, will be no gut, since it is the final Eastern League contest of the season for both teams and will probably decide seventh place. The Crimson is currently holding down seventh, with a 3-5 win loss record; the Quakers are just below with a 2-4 loop mark.

Penn Coach Howie Dallmar will start his number one hurler, Carl Hey, against the varsity. Hey, who won five and lost three last season, started slowly this year, but won his only Eastern League decision while compiling a 2.33 earned run average.

McInnis will counter with the Crimson's number one pitcher, Andy Ward, who is also "starting" slowly--mainly because of a sore arm.

Two of the league's leading batters will also start for the varsity. Back in the outfield is sophomore Bill Cleary, who, with a .344 average, stands eighth in league hitting. Captain Dick Scheer and Don Butters will flank him in the outfield.

George Anderson, still at first base, is fourth in the circuit with a .360 average and a chance to win the Blair batting trophy. Bob Gorman will start his second varsity game at second, with Ed Krinsky at short, and either Jim Rahal or Ray Maesaka at third. George MacDonald is scheduled to catch.

Mahar to Start

The same lineup should start against Jack Barry's powerful Holy Cross squad on Saturday, and first baseman-turned-pitcher John Mahar is scheduled to open on the mound. The undefeated Crusaders will start Ron Perry, who has won five of the Crusaders' ten games this season.