Suffled Heavy Crew Flies West For First Regatta at Wisconsin

A tired varsity heavy crew landed at the Madison, wis. airport late last night preparatory to its history-making race against the Wisconsin Badgers on Lake Mendota tomorrow morning.

The eight regular oarsmen--plus coxswain, two spares, and a coach, who made the 1,200-mile trip by air--will be rowing west of the Atlantic for the fifth time in modern Harvard crew history and for the first time against Wisconsin on its home water.

Results of comparative races favor the Crimson eight over the two-mile course which runs beside the Wisconsin campus and almost to the city shore-line. The Badgers' sophomore-laden crew finished third behind Navy and Cornell in its opener on Lake Onondaga and fifth behind fourth-place Harvard in the Eastern Sprints last week.

Despite the Crimson's length victory over the Wisconsin crew, Coach Harvey Love expects the late-starting Badgers to be at peak performance by tomorrow noon, and he has juggled his line-up accordingly.

The main change involved moving Dick Darrell from three to seven position in place of Dick Higgins who dropped to Darrell's place. Love made other tentative switches during the week but this was the only permanent one.

He is satisfied that it brought up the tenor and speed of the crew noticeably. In the back of his mind is the astounding showing Yale made against Navy last week, and the measures he will have to take to beat the Elis in June.

Met in 1941

If tomorrow's conditions are poor on Lake Mendota, the race can be run a mile away on the lee shore of Lake Monona, one of three lakes which surround Madison. Every effort, however, will be made to hold the duel on the regular course which runs eastward along the University shoreline, past the Boat House and Fraternity-Sorority Row, and affords spectators an excellent view.

The Crimson last met Wisconsin alone in 1941 on the Charles. Tomorrow's race was tentatively scheduled after the war when eight Eastern crews agreed to meet Wisconsin on its own ground in order to keep the Badgers coming East each year.