Crimson Baseball Varsity Defeats Favored Yale Team, 4-2, on Four Hits

An underdog Crimson baseball team added four hits to the 11 walks allowed by Yale ace Bob Davis and defeated a frustrated Eli nine, 4 to 2, today before an alumni crowd at Yale Field in New Haven.

Main factor in the varsity's victory was the clutch pitching of Kon Rossano and Andy Ward, who split the pitching duties. Between them they left 14 Eli men on base.

The Crimson scored the winning run in the eighth, when Don Butters led off with a walk, moved to second on George MacDonald's sacrifice, and came home on Ed Krinksky's sharp single to left.

Previously, shortstop, Krinsky's fourth inning error had enabled the Blue to tie the score at 2 to 2. The varsity had gone ahead in the top of the inning on a walk to Nod Felton, Butters' double to left, and successive infield outs.

In the second, starter Rossano pitched his way out of trouble, leaving the bases loaded. Ward, who came on in the fifth, repeated the feat in the bottom of the sixth. The Elis out-hit the Crimson, collecting six safeties. Rossano and Ward issued only seven walks. Their superior control assured the victory.

The varsity added an insurance run in the top of the ninth. Bill Chauncey, Butters, MacDonald, and Jim Rahal all walked, forcing in the fourth tally.