Cowles Works as Fullback In Varsity Football Drill

Varsity football coach Lloyd Jordan, who has almost enough good left-handed wingbacks to equip every single wing team in the country, once again used last year's wingback, Bob Cowles, at fullback in yesterday afternoon's drill.

Working with Cowles in the first backfield during the non-contact session were tailback Jim Joslin, wingback Frank White, and quarterback Joe Conzelman.

Conzelman is another man who could see action in two positions. The senior took over his old quarterback spot yesterday when Jerry Marsh went in early, but Conzelman could see as much or even more action at tailback.

Before yesterday's session, the Crimson coach announced a tentative division of his squad into varsity and junior varsity groups. The varsity list of 35 includes Bob Cochran, Phil Eastabrooks, Ed Kennedy, Frank Yoffe, Joe Ross, George Clark, and Bob Morrison at the ends. Cochran and Ross worked with the first line yesterday.

Koch, Frate Lead Tackles

Tackles on the number one squad include john Maher, Dick Koch, Orville Tice, Bob Wynne, and bill Frate. Frate and Koch have been with the number one group of late. The guards are Captain Tim Anderson, Bill Meigs, Jim Anthony, Tom Jones, and Ted Metropoulos, with Anderson and Meigs likely starters. Jan Meyer leads the center squad, which also includes Dave Bodiker, Dick Holzschuh, and converted fullback Art Painter.

Dexter Lewis and john Simourian back up White at wingback, while Phil Haughey and Leo Daley join Marsh and utility back Conzelman at quarterback. Besides Joslin and Conzelman, tailback candidates include Matt Botsford, Ron Eikenberry, and Sam Fyock.

Rounding out the varsity roster are fullbacks Terry Cheek, Tony Gianelly, and, of course, Cowles.

During the recent workouts Jordan has switched around his backfield men with great freedom, in an attempt to get the best balanced offensive and defensive unit. His combinations so far have not proved to have what he is looking for, and as a result the starting lineup for the opening game, against the University of Massachusetts is still unsettled.