O'Brian to Give Godkin Lectures in Late April

Attorney Will Deliver Only Two Lectures For Late Jackson

John Lord O'Brian '96, Lormer president of the Alumni Association and prominent Washington attorney, will deliver the annual Godkin Lectures instead of the late Robert H. Jackson, former Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, who was previously scheduled to give them. Jackson died unexpectedly last year.

The lectures will be given sometime in late April, instead of the usual January date.

Although O'Brian has not definitely decided on his topic, it will probably deal with, the field of civil liberties. He gave a similar set of lectures two team ago at Washington and Lee University on the subject of "Changing Attitudes Toward Freedom."

Instead of the customary three lectures, O'Brian will probably give only tow, according to Paul M. Herzog, Associate Dean of the Graduate School of Public Administration. This is because of the short time he has had to prepare for the lectures.

No Connection in Speeches

"There will be no connection between the formerly scheduled Jackson lectures and the O'Brian speeches now scheduled," stated Herzog. Jackson was planning to speak on "The position of the Supreme Court in the American system of Government." All Godkin Lectures, however, fall into the general category of "The essentials of Free Goverment and the Duties of the Citizen."

The lectures were established in 1903 and are offered each year in the memory of the late Edwin L. Godkin, who founded "The Nation" and edited "The New York Evening Post." Friends of his established a fund for the expressed purpose of inviting people not directly connected with the University to give talks on the specified topic each year. It was further stated in the agreement with the University that no regular lecturers were to be employed to give the talks.

John J. McCloy, former U.S. High Commissioner to Germany, Senator Paul H. Douglas (D-Fl.) and Senator Ralph H. Flanders (R-Vt.) have spoken in the past. Last year Adlai B. Stevenson drew a crowd of 2,000 to Sanders Theater.