Students Propose Combined Course For Math 1b, 2a

Three freshmen, dissatisfied with the progress of their Mathematics 1a course, have petitioned the department for a new intensive course in the spring term.

Saul H. Rosenthal, Alan B. Poritz, and W. French Anderson, all enrolled in Math 1a, said their sections were moving "much too slowly." Rosenthal approached the department with the request that it combine Math 1b and 2a in a single course. He was told that if he could get a petition of at least 20 signatures, the appeal would be considered. Rosenthal collected 75 signatures.

Honors Section

The Math Department, while hesitant about combining the two courses as suggested by Rosenthal, has agreed at least to form an honors section which possibly would have a minimum B grade in 1a as a prerequisite. If this plan is adopted, the section will not try to cover all the material in both courses, but will move "much faster than the others in 1b."

An achievement test may be held at the end of the semester to see which of the advanced candidates will be admitted to 2b; those not passing could enroll in 2a "with a head start."

Offered the choice of one section taught by a professor or two sections taken by teaching fellows, Anderson, Poritz, and Rosenthal decided to ask for the professor. The Department has not yet appointed anyone to the position.