Swimming Team Triumphs, 61-23

The varsity swimming team maintained its pace--gaining a record and a victory in every meet--and defeated Cornell in the I.A.B. pool on Saturday, 61 to 23.

The varsity record came right after the visitors' Pete Wolf edged Alan Rapperport in the 200-yard backstroke to set a Cornell record of 2:23.8.

Last year's Yard captain, Sigo Falk, immediately came back in the 200-yard orthodex breaststroke to top his fast-improving teammate, Bill Hoadley, in 2:36.6 and establish a new Harvard mark.

In the opening event of the meet, Falk picked up the lead that enabled the varsity to win the event in 3:02.0. With him on the team were Al Rapperport and Jon Lind.

Every race was close. In the 400-yard free style relay, swimming against the Big Red foursome of Doug Love, Bob Bell, Robinson Ord, and Roy Swanson, the Crimson's Lind and Jack Dinsmoor fell slightly behind. But third man Gus Johnson held his own against Ord, the Big Red's ace, and Chouteau Dyer came from behind in the last leg to win by a yard and a half in 3:36.4.