$1,000 Fire, Illegal Entry, Beating Break Monotony

A fire in Adams House, the beating of a College student on Mt. Auburn St., and an illegal entry in Lowell House all occurred within an hour last night to break the monotony of exam period.

Henry A. Eckhardt '56 was treated at Stillman Infirmary for facial lacerations after he was beaten by six youths on his way home with three companions at about 11:30.

The assailants apparently insulted the students from a car, and then got out and began swinging at Eckhardt. His companions, Timothy B. Cogan, Richard E. Fisher, and James B. Ayres, all juniors, managed to free Eckhardt, and their shouts for help frightened away the attackers.

Eckhardt was then taken to Stillman where stitches were taken to sew up a cut on the side of his face.

Damaged Estimated at $1000

The fire, apparently caused by cigarette embers on a sofa, occurred in Adams C-31, and filled the entry with smoke. Deputy Fire Inspector Henry Kilfoyle estimated damage to the room and furnishings at about $1000.

Two of the room's occupants, Nathaniel P. Ching '55 and Edward L. Ballantyne '55, were out when the blaze began, at about 10:45. The third occupant, Samuel A. Adams '55, was asleep at the time, and was aroused by a neighbor, Charles II. Kivett '55.

Three fire engines and a disaster car answered the call of the Adams' night superintendent at 10:55, and a crowd of about 250 watched firemen push the burning sofa out a window.

Search for "Friend"

A smoldering day-bed was also demolished and principal damage otherwise was to a carpet and phonograph records. Exam notes and a thesis were not harmed.

Three youths were caught in Lowell D-12 by its occupants, Harold P. Gelles '56 and Samuel II. (Sandy) Lindenbaum '56 at about 11:15. The three claimed they were searching for a "Ted Martin."

Gelles directed them to the superintendent's office, but watched them, and when they went into C-entry instead, notified the superintendent and police.

The three, all boarding school students, were taken into custody by Cambridge police and booked for illegal entry. Two were aged 18 and one 17.