Grad. Deans See Little Effect From Death of G.I. Bill

By Lee Pollak

Admissions officers of the Law and Business Schools said yesterday that they expect President Eisenhower's proclamation ending G.I. Bill of Rights benefits will have little long-range effect on the number of applicants to their respective schools.

Both Louis A. Toepfer, Director of Admissions at the Law School, and Lewis B. Ward, Director of Admissions at the Business School, said they believe increasing funds for scholarships and loans will provide financial backing for students who ordinarily would have depended on GI benefits.

Toepfer predicted, however, that the President's action will probably account in part for an increase in the number of applicants to the Law School in 1955 and 1956. Students, who in the past would have joined the army before entering graduate study will now be more inclined to go immediately into Law School after graduating from college, he said.

Increasing Scholarship Funds

In explaining his confidence in the Law School's ability to support students who previously would have used GI benefits, Toepfer pointed to the school's increasing scholarship funds.

Ward, expressing similar confidence, also noted that Business School application figures were not affected when the government withdrew GI privileges prior to the Korean War.

The GI educational benefits which were removed by Presidential proclamation provided veterans with $110 to $160 a month, depending on their marital status. The government awarded the financial support for a length of time equal to one and one half times the students term of service.

The Presidential action does not affect the GI privileges of those currently in service. The Government withdrew educational privileges for only those who enter the service after Jan. 31 of this year.