Crimson Eleven Opens Against UMass Today

Polish Sacrificed for Competence In Late Drills for First Game

By Jack Rosenthal

An excellent Harvard football team and an average Harvard football squad begin the 1955 season this afternoon, the last major college eleven in the country to do so. Kickoff time for the opener against the University of Massachusetts is 2 p.m. at Soldiers Field.

The distinction between team and squad, between skill and depth, made by observers since the beginning of pre-season practice, has been one of which Coach Lloyd Jordan has been acutely aware, and he has taken full advantage of the extra week of practice afforded by the Crimson's traditionally late starting date.

Working under the old educational theory of "let the smarter students help teach the average ones," Jordan has rotated his experienced backs with substitutes all week, sacrificing first-team polish for all-around competence.

Reserves Questioned

So today's game, the first opportunity most students will have to see the team--whose practices are closed to the public--will provide answers to two long-standing questions. First, whether Jordan has been able to develop adequate reserve strength, and second, how will he use the few talented replacements he does have.

These answers will be put to an immediate test, for the UMass team which appears here is virtualy the same team which upset the Crimson last year--and with a season of experience to boot.

Whelan, Noble Back

Both of last year's quarterbacks, Tommy Whelan and John Noble, will be back, as will Roger Barous, who scored both the UMass touchdowns in last year's 13-7 upset.

But the Redmen's experience, and a 250-car motorcade to Cambridge from UMass to the contrary, the Crimson stands a solid favorite. "After a loss like last year's," Jordan said earlier this week, 'the team develops its own attitude."

Considering the quality of his starting eleven, it should quickly impress its opponent with this attitude. The line has the maturity Jordan seeks, and the ability any coach would welcome.

Seniors Orville Tice and John Maher will open at the tackles, Captain Bill Meigs and junior Ted Metropoules at the guards, and Jan Meyer at center. All saw considerable action in last year's game. Only the ends, Bob Morrison, a senior, and Ted Kennedy, in his junior year, are relatively inexperienced.

Joslin, Stahura Uncertain

Four juniors, all with considerable experience, will open in the backfield. Tailback Matt Botsford and fullback Tony Gianelly, both first-stringers last year, will be joined by John Simourian at wing, and Leo Daley at blocking back.

Thus unaccounted for in Jordan's plans are his other two top-flight tailbacks, Jim Joslin, a junior, who shone in last year's Yale game, and Walt Stahura, a sophomore, who showed considerable ability in a recent scrimmage with Boston University. Both have played at tail and wing in Jordan's now-you-see-them-now-you-don't backfields of the past week.

The Crimson coach has refused to name a second line, and regarding his second backfield, would concede only that it would be anchored by seniors Joe Crehoro, quarterback, and Dick Oehmler, fullback