Housemasters Will Consider Extension of Parietal Hours

May Not Approve

The fate of extended hours to entertain women in the Houses is now largely in the hands of the Housemasters.

Dean Bundy Tuesday told the Student Council to take the parictal rules petition, which now bears the signatures of 1130 upperclassmen, to the Administrative Board and the committee of Housemasters and Senior Tutors. He indicated, however, that many Faculty members will frown upon another rules change "so soon" after the last one, which came three years ago.

The 15-member Administrative Board, headed by Dean Leighton, will probably consider the petition at its meeting next Tuesday. It is likely to reserve judgment, however, until the Housemasters express an opinion on the matter some time next month.

Housemasters last night were reluctant to discuss the proposed rules change before they met together. However, Elliott Perkins '23, Master of Lowell House, hinted in a notice posted Tuesday on the Lowell bulletin board that the proposal will face strong opposition. After cautioning House members about signing out late with woman guests, Perkins continued:

"This notice coincides with the appearance of a petition for extension of the entertainment hours. . . . It's just as well to realize that the hours we have were only got through the Faculty after considerable debate, that they are regarded as questionable by a number of people, and that abuse of these privileges might lead to their curtailment."