Russia Plays Ball

No sooner had a Russian basketball team been scheduled to play Harvard and four other American college teams in this country, than the Amateur Athletic Union abruptly announced it would not sanction the tour. Following this unexpected action, the State Department revealed that it would not issue visas to the Russians unless the A.A.U. first gave its approval to the tour.

Both groups have refused to allow the Soviet team into the country because Frank Walsh, an experienced San Francisco sports promoter, arranged the tour this summer by himself, without the A.A.U.'s approval. Dan Ferris, the Secretary of the A.A.U., said Walsh went through "the wrong channels" in scheduling the trip. But couldn't the A.A.U. find it possible to steer him into the "right channel"?

Also, if Walsh were to profit financially from the games, the A.A.U.'s actions could be explained. But actually all profits from the tour will go toward the building of a Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield.

The State Department's actions in the matter are also questionable. For even if the A.A.U. does not back down, the State Department should certainly not withhold the visas. Not only does Walsh, through his experience in athletics, seem capable of handling the tour, but the State Department has reduced its own stature by proceeding only on the A.A.U.'s instructions.

There have been several visits to this country by Soviet groups as a result of the recent Geneva conference; the basketball team would certainly be a worthy addition to the farmers, builders, and other delegations.

Interest in the Russian tour is very high in basketball circles, so high that the athletic director of North Carolina State College has taken the matter to the attention of his two senators. Similarly, the other colleges involved, as well as the entire sports world, looked forward to the arrival of the Soviet team. The A.A.U. and the State Department have both taken backward stands, but there is still enough time to reverse these positions, and allow the Russians into the country.