Dinner Will Mark Quarter Century Of Lowell House

Lowell House will celebrate its 25th anniversary with a tablecloth dinner for House members and guests of Master Elliott Perkins '23 on Nov. 7.

President Pusey and members of the Corporation and Board of Overseers will join the tutorial staff and many former associates of the House at the dinner. "To remind the undergraduates that the House is an academic community, the President and other guests will wear academic garb," said the Master, "but some of the officials will sit amongst the undergraduates and exchange human conversation with them, if they choose."

The dinner, served in two sittings, will be followed by "a minimum of speeches" and music performed by members of the House, the Master added, "but it won't be too blasted portentous or too long."

Former Residents Return

Perkins, who has been with the House since it opened and its master for 15 years, will be joined by several of the other original tutors, including A. Chester Hanford, professor of Government and Dean of the College at the inception of the House system. Barnaby C. Keeney, the new president of Brown University and former Lowell tutor will be there.

The opening of Lowell and Dunster Houses in 1931 marked the beginning of the House system. The other Houses were not ready for students until a year later. Master Gordon Fair said that no definite plans for Dunster's anniversary celebration have been made.