Soliciting for Charity Drive Starts Today

Mail Appeal Won't Star 'til November

More than 4,000 graduate students will not receive letters asking for their contributions to the Combined Charities Drive until the second week in November, David M. Dorsen '56, co-chairman of the annual appeal, announced last night.

The Drive starts today for all undergraduates with more than 200 volunteers making door-to-door solicitations. Tables will be set up in Dudley for undergraduate commuters, Dorsen said.

But all graduate school commuters cannot be contacted until cannot Hall finishes compiling the University mailing lists, according to Dorsen. He explained that the Bursar's office normally furnishes the Drive with address labels for all students. Because of the appeal's early start, however, the labels are not yet ready.

Last year Dudley students were also contacted by mail, Dorsen said. The directors of the Drive felt that they should be solicited at the same time as the rest of the College this year because they are "so closely associated with it," he said.

The purpose of the Combined Charities Drive is "to collect in one fund-raising appeal money for all worthwhile philanthropic organizations," Edward M. Strasser '56, the co-chairman, said.

All the graduate schools are in this year's Drive with the exception of the Business School, which has decided to continue its own separate Red Feather appeal.